You can download these instructions as a PDF here.
Create an individual work zone (also called a "page" or "child" - see the "children" below) that will contain your assignments (e.g., see the Parmenter Demo below), then create sub-page for each assignment, e.g., Assignment 1 - Parmenter).
- To create your individual work zone, first click on the Student Work Zone - Intro GIS Spring 2008 page (don't do this on this page of instructions!)
- When you are in the Student Work Zone page, click on the Edit menu, then select - New - Page. Give it your last name as a Title. You may type other information in there if you like. When finished press SAVE, and it will automatically appear in the list in the Student Work Zone page.
- To add a page for an assignment, click on your individual work zone page first, then click on Edit - New - Page. Give the new assignment page a title something like "Assignment 1 - Yourname".
- There are then three ways you can add your work:
- You can start typing the assignment directly onto this page typing in the area under the Rich Text tab just as you would in a word processor. Press Save when finished. Note you can insert images and create web links as well.
- If you have already written the assignment as a word processing document or have it as a PDF, you you can upload it.
- To upload a file, first save the assignment page if you are still in editing mode - if you are not in editing mode, click on the assignment page to which you will upload it (step 2 above)
- Click on Edit - Attachments, browse for your file, and attach it.
- Click on Edit - Edit this Page again
- Click on the Wiki Markup tab
- Type in the text you see below - including the brackets: - this macro will make a link to your attachment(s) automatically appear.
- Press SAVE when finished!
- Alternatively, you can add your attachments as in the above step, but then in the Rich Text tab, you could type in text (e.g., Assignment 1) and create a link to your attachment if you like. See the instructions below for linking to an attachment.
To link to an attachment:
- first attach the document (click on the Assignment page to view it, then click on Edit - Attachments) and add the attachment
- Next type in some text that will be the link (e.g., "Here is Assignment 1")
- Highlight the text to be linked and click on the "Insert/Edit Link" icon in the toolbar
- In the dialog box that appears, click on Attachments, then click on the attachment to which you are linking, so that its file name appears in the Link box (see graphic below)
- Press SAVE when done editing the page.
See my attached assignment here (attachment link example)
See the link properties dialog box below for how this attachment is linked:
See the Parmenter Example below for more instructions.
You should restrict editing of your page to yourself, and you may restrict viewing of your page to the instructor and TA. E-mail them if you need to know how to do this.