- Symbols - Discussion about what symbols are; writing messages or "stories" with symbols; interpreting symbols.
- Comparisons - Comparisons and comparison operators: =, ≠, <, >.
- Comparisons and Attributes - Work with comparisons and comparison operators (=, ≠, <, >).
- Comparing Heights I - Students compare the heights of two children, measure, compare, and represent one's own height in relation to a peer's height, and focus on the differences between heights.
- Comparing Discrete Quantities - Students compare amounts of tokens and unknown amounts of discrete quantities. In both cases they are guided to adopt line segments to represent discrete amounts and the differences between them. They are also asked to discuss composition of measures: "the difference plus the smaller amount is equal to the larger amount" and, "the larger amount minus the difference is equal to the smaller amount".