Time and Location: 9am-noon @ ACE (Alternatives for Community & Environment)
[ACE located at 2181 Washington St, 3rd Fl, Roxbury, MA]
- Welcome and Opening
- Overview of Solidarity Economy
- Guest Panel:
- Mike Prokosch, Community Labor United
- Caroline Murray, Executive Director Alliance to Develop Power (ADP SLIDES)
- Wrap-up: Evaluation and Next Session
- Write a 1-2 page journal reflecting on the themes and discussion in the previous session
- Complete the required readings
- Interview 1 of the other participants (I will assign someone you do not know) and write up a 1-2 paragraph biography to post to the wiki.
* Required Readings
*Alperovitz, Gar. 2009. “America Beyond Capitalism: The Pluralist Commonwealth.” Summary paper based on book by same title. ~13 pages.
Allard, Jenna, Carl Davidson, and Julie Matthaei editors. 2008. Solidarity Economy: Building Alternatives for People and Planet. Chicago: ChangeMaker Publications.
*Chapter 2 “Social Economy & Solidarity Economy: Transformative Concepts for Unprecedented Times?” by Michael Lewis and Dan Swinney. Pages 28-41
Center for Popular Economics. See http://www.populareconomics.org/
Community Economy Collective. See http://communityeconomies.org
*See slide show: “Rethinking Economy in Pioneer Valley of Massachusetts 1991-2001” by Julie Graham, June 6, 2001.
Participatory Economics. See http://parecon.org
US Solidarity Economy Network. See http://www.populareconomics.org/ussen/
*See powerpoint: “Solidarity Economy 101: Vision, Concepts & Practices”
Swinney, Dan. 2000. Building the Bridge to the High Road. Center for Labor and Community Research.
Download ADP slides